Temple began with a vision.
After returning home from a lengthy stay in Indonesia, Temple founder and barista Sean Kohmescher opened the first Temple Coffee house in 2005 with a dream of creating a community gathering place much like the temples he visited during his travels. His vision was simple: good vibes, great service, and exceptionally well-prepared coffee. Over a decade later, six coffee houses, and a roasterie, it is still this vision that Temple strives to fulfill today.
A coffee’s story always begins at origin. And that’s where we start.
The environment in which a coffee grows and the care taken to harvest, process, and ship a coffee cannot be separated from the quality that ultimately ends up in your cup. That’s why at the heart of Temple is our “Farm to Cup” sustainable coffee sourcing program. Our green coffee buyer and Director of Coffee travels to origin several times a year to meet coffee producers and build sustainable and direct relationships with farms, and to understand their farming practices and growing conditions. All payment is set transparently, and always exceeds Fair Trade prices.
Our roast philosophy in one word? Respect.
Because we purchase the majority of our coffees directly from the producer at origin, we know every coffee has a unique story. We don’t roast a coffee with any preconceived notions. We take each coffee and compose a roast profile that showcases the best that each coffee has to offer.
Every coffee is meticulously profiled using the experience and palates of our Director of Coffee, our Head Roaster, and our Production Roasters to achieve the pinnacle of flavor and aroma in the bean. This tailored approach to coffee roasting allows us to harmonize the chemical reactions that occur within the bean throughout the roasting process with the artistry only the studied hand and palate can truly master.
Crafted with care, served with a smile.
A coffee’s journey — from sourcing, travel, and roasting — ultimately ends when it’s served to our guests, either through whole bean sales or beverage preparation by our baristas. To us, representing coffee’s complex story is a job that’s both humbling and honorable. Through a month-long private training program, our baristas become coffee ambassadors, preparing each coffee with care and serving it with a smile. We believe that customer service is key and that our café patrons appreciate our inner coffee-geekiness. We feature weekly coffee tastings every Friday at 2pm at participating Temple cafes. Our goal is to spread our knowledge and passion for all things coffee, and we hope you can be a part of that.
Contact: email@example.com | 916.454.1282
Some of our accolades include:
- Best Coffeehouse 2019 – Sacramento Magazine
- Best Friendly Cup of Coffee, Sacramento – Sacramento News & Review
- Best Friendly Cup of Coffee, Davis – Sacramento News & Review
- 94 points – Coffee Review, Ethiopia Gora Kone, September 2019
- 97 points, Panama La Esmeralda Geisha Bosque Natural, December 2015
- 96 points, Panama Don Pepe Estate SOE, September 2015
- 96 points, Panama Don Pepe Estate Fully Washed Geisha, August 2015
- “Top 30 Coffees of 2013” – Temple Coffee 1st place, 96pt Ethiopia Yirgacheffe ECX
- Top 1 of 17 Coffee Roaster in the U.S. by CNN and Fortune Magazine
95 points, Panama Finca Hartmann, July 2015
- 1st Place, Golden Bean NA for Decaffeinated Colombia Narino, September 2015
- 95 points, Kenya Makwa AB, February 2014
- 94 points, El Salvador Santa Elena Honey Pacamara, February 2014
- 95 points, Ethiopia Yirgacheffe ECX Auction Lot, February 2014
- 96 points, Panama Los Lajones Bambu Geisha, December 2013
- Guatemala Hunapu coffee scored 97 on Coffee Review, October 2010